Loaded with six extremely flexible oscillators, dozens of waveforms, 27 filters types, 35 effects, and a staggering degree of modulation capabilities, Rob Papen's Blue II is a virtual instrument sound design wonderland!
Striking an elegant balance between ease of use and sophistication, Rob Papen Blue II allows you to approach sound design from several different angles whilst being both fun and intuitive.
Craft sounds that are lush, deep, complex and alive, to biting, aggressive and modern – there's a lot to explore in Rob Papen's Blue II, and as Sound on Sound said in their review, "crossfusion synthesis doesn´t get better than this"
BLUE II KEY FEATURES
- Combines 6 complex oscillators, FX synthesis, and subtractive synthesis providing a world of sonic possibilities
- A rich palette of oscillator waveform span the gamut from basic analog shapes to string and choir samples
- Two analog modeled filters with 27 filter types including ring filtering let you sculpt perfect tones
- Create moving and evolving sounds with a multitude of envelopes, step sequencers, LFOs, arpeggiators, and more
- Add even more sonic texture to the mix with four effects engines with 32 effects types each
- X-Y matrix taken from Rob Papen's Blade additive synthesizer provides even more cool ways to manipulate patches
- Straightforward user interface makes sound design intuitive and fun
- Compatible with any AAX, VST, or AU plug-in host
MORE ABOUT ROB PAPEN BLUE II...
A new range of specially selected waveforms based on samples have been meticulously fashioned for creating new and fresh-sounding synth sounds, so don't go expecting acoustic pianos galore here. However, since choirs and strings are an excellent basis for so many synth sounds Blue II has them in abundance, with much more besides!
Moreover, Blue II takes the useful XY pad features from its popular virtual instrument sibling Blade, a cutting-edge additive synthesis powerhouse with a human touch, and transplants them into its own equally extraordinary workflow, perfect for time-based sound movements and vector pad-type sounds. Complemented by four top-quality FX processors, each offering 35 FX types, Blue II is a phenomenally powerful virtual instrument to behold.
But Blue II is also easy to use, thanks to its user-friendly user interface and an innovative Easy Edit page for speedy sound changes, while the Bank Manager allows whistle-stop navigation through over 3000 inspirational Rob Papen presets and artist sound banks covering a wide range of musical styles.
Blue was first released in 2005 after Rob Papen formed the RPCX (Rob Papen ConcreteFX) partnership with music software developer Jon Ayers to create a powerful dream synth. As such, it remains a bona fide software synthesizer classic to this day, much loved by synth players and producers worldwide.
Blue reflected Rob Papen’s cutting-edge, creative, and musical approach towards developing virtual instruments by first delivering FM and subtractive synthesis, then duly adding Phase Distortion and wave shaping synthesis into the highly creative mix to create one seriously creative combination. Rob Papen himself called it ‘Crossfusion synthesis’ since it covered so much musical ground so effectively.
Blue II remains true to that ethos with even more sound dimensions and features to its extended name, starting with six oscillators beating at its musically creative heart. These can be connected in various ways, together with two analogue-style modelled stereo filters with 27 different filter types, an enormous range of processing and modulation options, sequencer, and an incredibly powerful arpeggiator.
BLUE versus BLUE-II
- Other preset menu with 128 preset banks
- Bank manager
- Sub-oscillator in each oscillator with sinus waveform (left from middle of dial) and square wave form (right from middle of dial)
- Analog drift available in each oscillator
- Spread function in each oscillator (you will get a multi-oscillator sound by using spread). Works on all waves except on the ´ST´ waveforms
- New range of selected sample waveforms
- Classic analog waveforms and spectrum waveforms are now aliasing free
- New range of filter types, which makes a total of 28 'matrix' in the oscillator algo page, which means that the user is free to connect the oscillators to each other or/and give them output for addressing them to the filters or FX
- Sequencer with wave-sequence option
- XY pad with many features and vector mode (to control the volumes of Osc. A-D)
- 4 FX with 35 FX types included
- An HQ Reverb based on a RP-VERB algo.
- Each FX can be modulated using a 2x matrix
- Audio engine 'rework' which leads to an 'open and warm sound'
- Other small improvements and features.